Blairgowrie and Rattray is a twin burgh in Perth and Kinross, Scotland. Amongst locals, the town is colloquially known simply as "Blair". Blairgowrie is the larger of the two former burghs which were united by an Act of Parliament in 1228 and lies on the south-west side of the River Ericht while Rattray is on the north-east side. Rattray claims to be the older and certainly Old Rattray, the area round Rattray Kirk, dates back to the 12th century. New Rattray, the area along the Boat Brae and Balmoral Road dates from 1777 when the River was spanned by the Brig o' Blair. The town lies on the north side of Strathmore at the foot of the Grampian Mountains. The west boundary is formed by the Knockie, a round grassy hill which is popular walk and Craighall Gorge on the Ericht. Blairgowrie & Rattray developed over the centuries at the crossroads of several important historic routes with links from the town to Perth, Coupar Angus, Alyth and Braemar. The roads to Coupar Angus and Braemar form part of General Wade's military road from Perth to Fort George. The town's main feature and centrepiece is the Wellmeadow, a grassy triangle in the middle of town which hosts regular markets and outdoor entertainment. Other parks include Rattray's Davie Park, Blairgowrie's J J Coupar Sports Ground and Lochy Park.More
Much of the expanding population works in the nearby cities of Dundee and Perth. The surrounding area is still the soft fruit centre of Scotland, and the local population increases greatly in summer when Eastern European students flock in to harvest the fruit, mainly raspberries and strawberries. Like the Scottish pickers of old, they are housed in camps on the farms, but these now tend to be residential caravans or cabins rather than huts and tents.
Locally based companies include Proctors of Blairgowrie who manufacture and supply insulation, Davidson the Chemists who have a network of retail chemist shops throughout North East Scotland as well as an agricultural and veterinary business, Croles Coachworks, Blairs Laundry, Gordons Caterers, Stagecoach Strathtay buses, Tayside Contracts, PM Forest and Field Engineering, Graham Environmental, and CO-AN Supplies.More
The new Blairgowrie Campus opened in Elm Drive in 2009 incorporating Newhill Primary and St Stephens RC Primary. Newhill primary holds about 360 children while St Stephens RC primary is a smaller unit holding about 70 pupils. Rattray Primary serves children on that side of the river. Blairgowrie High School in Beeches Road provides secondary education for all round the area.More