Renfrew (Rinn Friù in Scottish Gaelic) is a town located west of Glasgow in the west central Lowlands of Scotland. Renfrew is known as the "Cradle of the Royal Stewarts" as a result of its early link with the Royal house of Scotland and Great Britain. It gained royal burgh status in 1397 and became the county town of Renfrewshire, also known as the County of Renfrew. The current Baron of Renfrew is His Royal Highness The Prince Charles, Duke of Rothesay (known outside Scotland as The Prince of Wales) who holds lands in the area as part of the principality of Scotland.
As the traditional county town, Renfrew once was a centre of local government for the surrounding area. Whilst the county remained, the focus of local government in Renfrewshire gradually shifted from Renfrew to the larger neighbouring town of Paisley. Following the reorganisation of 1975, the county of Renfrewshire was divided for local government purposes into three modern council areas: Renfrewshire, with considerably smaller boundaries than the county, including Renfrew and with its administrative centre at Paisley; East Renfrewshire, with its centre at Giffnock and Inverclyde with its centre at Greenock. The boundaries of the historic county of Renfrewshire remain for a number of ceremonial and administrative purposes.More
The major industry of Renfrew was previously shipbuilding. Simons and Lobnitz, most notable for building sand dredgers were based in the town. The Renfrew shipyard closed in the early 1960s.
Renfrew is home to the engineering company Doosan Babcock (formerly Babcock and Wilcox), the King George V Dock and the Braehead out-of-town retail development.More