Summertime is here, and the idea of “fun” in the office may sounds like a complete contradiction. Half your workforce is probably lying on a beach, sipping exotic-coloured cocktails and only pausing to let the world know what a fantastic time they’re having on Facebook. They key to getting through this difficult time (aside from remembering that in a few weeks it’ll be your turn, anyway) is in making your office environment more appealing via a series of small changes and treats. Let’s look at a few fun office ideas for summer.
Improving your office environment
- Change your desktop background. Go for an image that makes you feel calm, serene and cheerful.
- Decorate your desk with photos, a plant (don’t forget to water it) and anything else that makes you feel happy. A great conversation gambit and a simple way to create a more positive office environment for yourself.
- Think carefully about a small supply of healthy edibles to bring in. This might include home-made fruit juice or a five-star packed lunch. Lost for ideas? Take inspiration from Japanese-style “bento” boxes, or the variety of lunchbox recipes out on the net.
- Take your colleagues out for a drink. You may be tired at the end of the day, but the more energy you put into your work environment, the more you will get out.
- Wear something new. Looking smart helps you get in the mood for being professional, and new clothes will break up your routine slightly.
- Listen to music. Music has the power to change your mood completely. Here in the JobisJob offices, we’ve made a Spotify playlist for working to if you fancy ideas.
- Exercise at your desk. There’s a list of crafty ideas for deskercise here. If you’re not sure how your colleagues would react to split squat jumps in the office, try these two simple tips: 1) ALWAYS take the stairs and 2) walk over and speak to your colleagues instead of sending emails whenever possible.
- Make your office environment smell nice. Inject some sensory pleasure into day-to-day life with room freshener or simply delicious-smelling cups of tea (we like caramel and cinnamon).
- Walk home from work, or get off a metro stop early, to have time to gently meander back in the summer air (and possibly stop off at the pub on the way).
- Speak to someone new. Step outside your comfort zone and ask someone at the other desk, in the other department or even in another office what their holiday plans are.
…and by the time you’ve tried out our ten fun office ideas, it’ll be time to go to the beach anyway. Don’t forget your suncream!