We are proposing eight different ideas to promote team spirit among colleagues and celebrate this time of the year.
The arrival of December means one thing: the arrival of Christmas. It is one of the times of year where we strengthen our relationships between our personal and professional lives. Sometimes traditions can become tired and the same activities get repeated year after year. Since this is such an important time of year, which everyone enjoys, it is important to celebrate it at the office and for everyone to take part and have a good time.
The celebrations can help to promote team spirit among colleagues and create a more cohesive company or organization. And, why not have a little fun? Work is important but productivity with increase significantly if the working atmosphere is comfortable and relaxed throughout the year, and particularly at this time of year.
We have come up with a series of ideas on how to celebrate Christmas at the office, getting away from or transforming the typical celebrations and traditions, which everyone is a little tired of. Take a risk! Have a good time with your colleagues.
- Decorate the office. For example, put a tree in the office and each colleague can bring their own decoration with a personal meaning or a special connection with another colleague. Help your colleagues to get to know each other better.
- Organize a breakfast. Forget the typical Christmas dinner and that way you can make sure that everyone in the office can attend. To make things more fun and involving, give it a theme where everyone has to come in fancy dress. If a themed party seems a bit over the top, you can always organize a picnic if there is a park or patch of grass nearby.
- Take a risk! Create a Christmas jumper competition and give a prize to the most original. One of the days before the Christmas holidays, all the workers who want to take part can wear their funniest Christmas jumper and people are sure to have a good laugh!
- Organize a Christmas photocall. The workers can take photos and to incentivize what they are doing you can organize a competition with a prize (some office stationary, a free week in the company’s canteen, etc.) All of the selfies that the employees have taken during the Christmas period can be included. Afterwards, you can print all the photos and dedicate a space in the office to hang them.
- Don’t forget the traditions. Organize a Secret Santa or Kris Kringle among the colleagues in the office, and provide a sheet where they can all write suggestions for their presents, if anyone is a little unsure what to get. It is also a good idea to buy a present for everybody, of the type “This is for…”. Who doesn’t like to receive a present at this time of year?
- Organize a Christmas dinner. Is there anything more typical? But to be more entertaining, organise a silly awards competition and get colleagues to vote for categories such as “The most…”. If this kind of competition is a bit much, don’t forget to liven up the meal with other party games. Most of all, make sure your employees don’t get bored!
- If your colleagues have a strong relationship and they’d like to do something different, there is always room for more original plans, such as bowling or paintball. If they want to spend more time together and create more elaborate plans, a relaxing weekend getaway is a nice idea.
- And, the fail-safe solution: round every plan off with karaoke!